We are very enthusiastic about IHC’s newest initiative in promoting integrated, coordinated patient-centered care with a focus on communication skill practice applicable in patient and team interactions. IHC conducted a pilot of this highly interactive workshop last summer with the Veterans Administration nationwide via a train-the-trainer model. This pilot program brought together VA clinicians from several disciplines who will now be teaching IHC’s new communication workshop in their respective VA medical centers across the country. This project has been highly successful and led to a second faculty program held in November 2010 in New Haven – this time with primary care interdisciplinary teams working with patients with chronic pain.
Call to Action
The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) has developed rigorous standards for medical practices to demonstrate that they are functioning as PCMHs. “Better communication leads to better care” is at the heart of HCAHPS, global payments, and other satisfaction surveys.
Team and Patient-Centered Communication Training
Members of your healthcare team can be trained to teach this Communication Workshop to healthcare teams within your organization.
1. Help all members of your healthcare teams understand, embrace and develop effective communication skills required for systems that use the PCMH model.
2. Improve patient care and satisfaction
3. Increase patient adherence and self-management
4. Increase healthcare team satisfaction
5. Reduce medical error and liability risk
Registration for PCMH Communication Faculty Course
We are now recruiting new faculty to teach IHC’s Team and Patient-Centered Communication Workshop. This 3.5 day faculty course will be held in October 18-21, 2011 in New Haven, Connecticut. Tuition for the 3.5 day training is $3,500 and includes all educational materials to teach the PCMH Communication Workshop. Click here to download an application.
What Does the Faculty Course Involve?
1. IHC’s Team and Patient-Centered Train-the-Trainer Program is a highly interactive 3.5 day course using a 1:5 trainer/learner ratio. Program is focused on learning workshop content, adult learning theory, facilitation techniques and workshop practice in a small, learning group setting. In addition, trainees practice communication skills in contextually relevant patient simulations in small group settings.
2. Each trainer will be provided with all of the educational materials and resources to teach the Communication Workshop for implementation in your organization (Workshop slide decks, workbook and training videos provided).
3. Customized workshop format adaptable to meet your individual organization continuing education needs. Workshop delivery options: 4.5 hour or expanded 6 hour workshop, two 3 hour presentations, or 6 one hour modules. Can be used by your organization in the most appropriate time frame for your practice. (All materials included).
IHC CPC Faculty
We will also be conducting a shortened (1.75 day) faculty course for CPC-trained faculty who are interested in adding IHC’s Team and Patient-Centered Communication workshop to your teaching repertoire! This course will be held in Denver on Dec 1-2, 2011.